Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Lottery fever

Stopping at the 7eleven this morning for my mega shot of caffeine, I have to detour around a clump of men as excited as kids on Christmas morning. I figured they were talking football or wrestling or whatever it is that gets grown men excited. As I walked passed I realised what they were talking about was this mega whatever lottery that is some obscene amount like $340 million and what they would do with the money if they won.
Now I've daydreamed about what I would do with an amount like this and it's run the gamut from buying my own island, building my own humongous house, so large that once one room got messy I could simply close the door and move into another one, to sending away for every rubber stamp catalog advertised in Rubberstampmadness. Of course, that was after the huge party I would throw for everyone I know and the gift checks I'd be handing out to every one. Once, when the sons were younger I had even contemplated buying out the house next to me and the one behind me, to knock the houses down and build a 'lazy river' like you see at those amusement parks that have water rides etc and just float around the property all day long.
These poor guys though, had absolutely no imagination. A new car, a boat and a big screen TV though the big screen guy did say that he would build a house around the big screen.
Are men just more grounded than women and so they can't let their imaginations fly? Or is my imagination simply unruly and runs away from me as I scamper after it with a large butterfly net trying to capture it and make it behave.
I've never yet managed to control my inagination. It's a slippery little bugger that allows me to believe that I might just be able to fly, like I can in my dreams. I've even tried to fly in my waking life. Douglas Adams once said that flying is easy . You only need to throw yourself on the ground and miss. My dreamtime flying is a bit more complicated than that. There is a special way to hold my feet and a special way to stretch my body as if pulling myself upwards into the sky. For a brief moment there I was almost convinced that my feet would actually leave the earth and I could fly around the house like a giddy fly. But no... in my house gravity works only too well and I remain stuck to the earth. Maybe I'll come back in my next life as a butterfly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>