Thursday, May 15, 2008

International Market

In my search for turkish delight (I said it was addictive) I went into what was advertised as an international market but turned out only to be the type that carries asian and hispanic items. The minute I stepped through the door, I saw that they had a remarkable price on grapes and as I journeyed further through produce I spied the asian ugly fruit. I have no idea really whether it was fruit or some kind of veg but some of these lumopish things looked as if they could suddenly open their eyes and spring for your throat, or sprout wings and fly around splattering your head with fruit.
Ah. But I was not to be deterred and I searched out the candy aisle, which I admit would have been a awhole heck easier if I knew just WHAT the packages were advertising. Tgere was white ricish looking stuff and other stuff coated in sesame seeds and more stuff with those big eyed smiling creatures that the asian marketing people think are so endearing.. Frankly I was on cutsey wrapping overload so I escaped into the meat section which was unfortunately too close to the fresh fish section with its pong of things from the sea best left uneaten.
Compared to the many tenacled thing and the whatever that looked like nothing more than some prehistoric insect, the ugly fruit was rather pretty.
And then, settling my imagionary pith helmet firmly on my head and tightening my grip on my equally imaginary machete, I slashed and burned my way into ....THE MEAT SECTION!
Ok. Now I am a person who has to have sauerkraut with turkey and eats steamed crabs by forcing my way into the shells and so I know that ewveryone's tastes are not the same but I swear that some of these meats left me with two great questions. The first of them was how do you eat this and the second was why.
For instance, the Pig Heads. Yep just the head. I didn't look too closely at it for fear I might recfognise the pig but what in god's name would you do with just the head? Or the split cow hooves, the chicken legs... not drum sticks but the scaley leg part complete with the claw. Is there even any MEAT on that? Then I wandered past the duck. There I had a choice... with head or without. Personally i prefer my food to NOT be looking at me while I eat it but that's only me. There was goat...smoked and unsmoked, cow feet whole and split... I can see that. I'd prefer not having to split my feet. What do you do with a fresh pig's ear? I mean other than give it to your dogs as well as some creature's intestines, a black chicken... really the skin was black... pigs feet, that my father loved to eat..and pig's tails that help jazz up that sauerkraut I was talking about earlier. There was rabbit and unicorn...just checking to see if you were paying attenion and a steer tounge that looked to be the length of my arm.
HOWEVER.
I am leaving the best till last... I think the prize was the bull pizzle that, if it really is the uh ah bull's manly equiptment as someone once told me a pizzle was then been a manly man type a bull and whose uh um winkie must have started somewhere near his forehead. That big long steer tounge was a shrimp in length when compared to the uh um... pizzle.

the store left me with one lingering question....How hungry was the first guy that decided a pizzle was good to eat, or a foot or a claw or those gelatinous things in the fish bins that looked like something the pig head blew out of its nose. Or for that matter the crabs I am so fond of. Really, how many pigs ear would one have to eat to actually HAVE enough to feel full and pigs feet are mostly bone and why leave the head on anything you are going to eart?
But then once i stopped finding the weird meat I discovered that their normal meats were actually very inexpensive and as soon as I have the money, I'm going back for more of that thin sliced rib eye (enough to feed me and two men as steak subs and for under $3.00) and that eye round that is the size of a small child for under $15. Four meals out of that baby at the least.
BTW no turkish delight so I may just have to try the recipe I found online. I wonder if I can find a recipe for bull pizzle.Anyone wanna come to my house for dinner?

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Vyx said...

LOL Sharon! Pig heads are traditionally cooked and used to make tamales. They can be boiled up and then all the meat is used... including the brains. I've known a lot of Hispanic people. (sometimes they roast the head in an oven or bbq pit) There were places where I grew up that you could order them cooked ahead of time. The choices were cow, sheep, pig, or goat.
Chicken feet are used to make chicken broth that is that lovely yellow color. Altho most people use food coloring or tumeric these days. :)
As for Pizzles or tongues... I wouldn't touch those. Eww.

Good luck on your search for Turkish Delight. :)

8:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>