Sunday, September 27, 2009

Weekend wanderings

The husband and I went to the free bok place again. I wanted more magazines to tear up and the price is always right. I got the mags and a pile of books that I plan on returning there once I'm finished with them. I did remember to take the empty toner cartridges from the office so that theBook Thing sells to whomever and uses the money for rent and utilities. Again I was amazed at how so many people can wander quietly among the books, selecting carefully when really they could walk out with every thing. Didn't find any spectacular treasures there but on our way in we passed an artist and craftsman store and I just had to stop. It was in a run downish warehouse sort of place but the minute I walked through the doors I was in love. I'm not an artist but I love pretending that I am and so I got a couple of sketchbooks, great bargains, A couple prismacolor pencils, one sharpie and my bargain of the day,fine brushes for detail painting AND with a chunky handle that's great for my sore fingers for.... hold onto your seats... a quarter each. I bought * and could have splurged on the fifty cent ones but the fine ones are what I always need. I've promised myself another visit.
Silly me never realised that we were in the neighborhood of the art institute and we passed another two art stores, that I did not explore. I needed to leave something for another time.
After book thing and the brushes we went for pizza back near home. We love this place and are content to wait while they make our pizza fresh. It was quiet in there and fairly empty but gradually I became aware of a big corner booth behind us. There were 5 young men in this booth, each with a baby or young child. Babies young enough for only baby food and bottles and the young child was just about old enough for a piece of pizza. Just 5 guys, early 20s I thought, hanging out with their kids. And the little ones were so well behaved you didn't know they were there and when one of the daddies (I'm assuming here) went up to get their food another daddy took over, talking to the little one, making them giggle. I have never seen anything like it. It made me want to go up and give each and every one of them a hug. I may be old fashioned,m but I could see a group of young mothers doing something like that but have nev er dreamed that young fathers would step in so readily. And the little ones were eating it up, excuse the pun.
So all in all it was a good weekend that made up for the crappy friday we had. But it's back to work tomorrow. Oh dread.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>