Monday, September 07, 2009

As always.... amazed

Oldest son and I had a discussion the other day as to whether Rocco the Wonder Dog really IS a wonder dog or are older son and I just more perceptive when it comes to Rocco's 'lamguage'. Older son did the family's grocery shopping the other day and got the dog a variety pack of bones and chews. Since both dogs are picky with their chews, I dumpbed the bag out on the floor and told them to help themselves. Little dog Ollie found what he wanted immediately but Rocco was reluctant. So I'd pick up a ches and offer it to him and with his nose he would push my hand away in a clear, thanks but no thanks. Eventually we found something he wanted but with each and every one that wasn't his choice it was the same thanks but no thanks nudge. If that isn't language I don't know what is.
Now when Older son was just a baby, the Husband often asked me how I knew what it was that Older son wanted when, the Husband had no clue. (I will refrain from any clueless man remarks here). I looked at him as if he had lost his mind and told him that Older son told me. Then when visiting a neighbor across the street with a son three months younger than mine, I was stunned to hear her son speaking. And that's when it hit me. The reason I knew what Oldest son wanted was because he TOLD me only not in english. Through a series of gestures and sounds, he made his own language and taught it to me. Once I got serious tho and made Older son actually tell me in English, did he forget his language and speak so that everyone could understand.
So here's what we're wondering. Do all dogs have a language? Perhaps they are all speaking to us but we don't quite 'get' their language and, as far as I know, there is no Rosetta Stone Language course for canine. Are older son and I unusually perceptive or is Rocco just more verbal than most. Rocco has sounds as well. To the point where Older son knows whent he dog wants the fan on and there's a new game that Rocco asks to play as soon as I come home from work. Ollie isn't nearly as vocal though he has his own language BUT I suspect he gives Rocco the idea of asking for a snack and then Ollie sits back and reaps the rewards.

Oh and that pile of chews that the dogs had to choose from. I never could put them back in their bag because they all disappeared. So far I've found them under the blankets on the bed, under the dog pillow, in one of my shoes, in a half empty Dr Pepper carton and a half a dozen places in older son's room. What especially tickles me is when Ollie hides them in places where Rocco can never go, like under the desk because Rocco is too big and Ollie fits just right. Sometimes it pays to be a little dog.

2 Comments:

Blogger Vyx said...

I think dogs do have a language, but my scientist daughter says no. I also think dogs understand a lot of human words... otherwise why would I have to spell certain words in front of the dog? Like treat or toy... unless I'm planning on giving those to the dog. :)

11:35 AM  
Blogger ---me--- said...

Ah scientists. Where would we be without them. I once watched a show where this woman was trying to teach chimps to 'talk' using computers and such. She was sitting at her desk one day at snack time and the chimps started to hoot and she thought to herself that they were having grapes and was shocked that they were having grapes. The chimps had a language all along but she was too dense to realise it. Sometimes there is just too much book learning and not enough common sense.

10:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>