Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Imagine

When I was a girl we had a big boxy tv with three channels. When it needed repair, you could take one of the big, Frankenstein's lab tubes out of the back of it and test it on a machine at the drug store. If the tube was 'bad' you could simply buy a new tube out of the cabinet in the bottom of the machine and your tv was as good as new. All three channels in glorious black and white.
Color came later, as did cable and satelite tv and so we no longer had to decorate our rabbit ears with flags of aluminum foil to enhance reception.
Pong. Pong was the hot amazing game. Boring as hell even then but people were amazed to watch this thing bounce back and forth across the screen. Now our video games can do everything except come to my house and wash my dishes. Now that's a game I'd buy.
Phones have gotten smaller and they no longer have to be tethered to the wall. You can send pictures and text and who knows, maybe one day we can send people back and forth, kinda like Mike TV in the first Willie Wonka movie. "Mom, am I coming in clear?"
I do have a point. The internet and most especially email.
Today I picked up a friend who I had never met... at least not in person. She's from Arizona and we've been on the same big rubberstamping list for about forever. She's not the only person from that list that I can consider a friend. I have met a whole circle of friends from all over the country, people I never would have known had this been 15 years ago. How poor my life would have been without knowing these people, sharing their lives, their joys their sorrows even though I could pass them on the street and never recognise their faces. Maybe without the face to face we find it easier to accept people for who they are and not what they may look like. Maybe it's easier to tell these people things you would never tell a friend face to face.
I like the internet... never thought I would. I love e-mail. I love peeking into people's lives through their blogs. I love finding odd sites and unusual places. And think. I can do it all in my jammies without having to tame my Madame Hooch hair or wait until the pillow creases disappear from my old lady cheeks. Or even in the altogether except in my case, I'd have to be wearing a sweater because the altogether gets a little cold for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>