Sunday, December 03, 2006

Happy birthday

The the younger son. He turned 24 last night and there was a wing ding of a party at his house, to which the HUsband and I weren't invited. It seems that some of the younger son's bar friends had asked if we were invited and he told them 'no' the the husband (or the old fart as the sons call him) and I wouldn't last 15 minutes. I muttered something about how we'd cramp his style with old folks there and he said that he had invited bar friends many of whom are older than the husband and I. Apparently the women at the bar LOVE him and want to wrap him up and take him home.Everybody loves younger son. I think he has, not only his share of friends but the friends the husband and I would have if we could figure out some sort of way to make friends.
Older son went to the party where he played cook. A good time was had by all.
As for me, the younger son was right. I probably wouldn't have made it through the night.

I am on a ruber stamp list known as the 'big list'. the ladies, for it does seem to be mostly ladies, have this habit of sending oddities through the mail. I have received, in no particular order, a shoe, a rubber chicken, a pig puppet, a bottle filled with christmas bits and on and on.
Well, for youger son's birthday I bought a kids ball, addresed it and wrote on the back of it "_____, It's your birthday so...


Hold on


are you ready for this



bad pun rising



It's your birthday so have a ball!



The guy at the post office looked at me as if I had lost my mind. Smilin' Jack the other postal guy who has never smiled in the dozen odd years that he's worked at that PO glared a little less while his grumble seemed less grumbly somehow. Of course Smilin' Jack would never admit that something as frivolous as a ball could be sent through the mail but off it went anyway.

Younger son did receive it. His mail lady rang his bell and as he opened it she was trying to wedge the ball between storm door and inner door. Younger son said that the woman was grinning like a fool and as she handed over the ball and headed off down the street she kept looking back over her shoulder and grinned.

Younger son told one of the grannies at the bar that I belong to an internet group who sets out to drive the Post Office crazy and to determine just what CANNOT be mailed. Haven't found anything yet and, in fact, all of the weird stuff I sent everything has made it. Including the inflated bee.

Younger son did get an upgrade on his cell phone from us for his birthday but I consider the ball his true present from me. After all, everyone should have a ball on his or her birthday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>