Thursday, October 12, 2006

Porcine nose flute or why Dotty won't talk to me

Dotty, the sow, has been moved to the farrowing house and I moved with her. Only I haven't exactly moved in there isn't enough room fro my craft stuff. Anyway, she spent most of her day stretched out, belly to the breeze from the fan, sleeping. As for me it was that same round of can she walk is she dead questions which I swear will make my head explode in a shower of little pieces.
Finally the farm quieted down as the busses loaded to take the people back to wherever it is that they come from where boys have babies and pigs don't walk. It was actually quiet in the room when I heard it. It sounded very much like the sound one can make when blowing across the top of an empty soda bottle. That deep wooooohooohooo kind of sound. It had a good rythm even if you couldn't dance to it and being a nosey kind of bored out of her mind person I looked for the source.
It seems that Dotty had her nose underneath one of the staunchens. It was hollow so every time she exhaled it whistled. Well it had been about the funniest thing I had seen in some time so I laughed, long and loud. Dotty opened her eyes, pushed herself up, gave me a look and turned her face away from me. I tried to touch her but she wasn't interested. In fact when I reached out to her she gave me another look and puched herself against the far stauncheon out of my reach. There was a woman standing there who actually witnessed the same thing and when the next group showed up told the adults that the pig was angry with me because I laughed at her. Dotty did forgive me by the end of the day but that was after I apologised and gave her a belly rub. Pigs are suckers for belly rubs.

Now in the 'What were they thinking?' category for today.
I watched a guy pick a handful of poke berries from the weeds fringing the farm. The frm only rents the land for a month and the rest of the time its a polka oompah place that rents itself out for reunions and what not. So while the farm is neatly maintained there is a ring of woods and weeds and the like.
So this guy with a handful of poke berries asks me if I know what they are. I told him poke berries and that they are poisonous. Goofus refused to believe me and told me they were edible. I just kept insiting that they were poison. He then found another berry that I couldn't identify. I told him that and suggested that you never eat anything you aren't familiar with. I swear this knucklehead was still going to eat the berries no matter what but since I didn't hear about any poke berry poisionings I'm hoping he saw sense. Sheesh.
Then there was the guy who had to have the term "when the pig got married" explained to him because he actually thought she got married. You could see that he was trying to figure out in his head if she wore a veil and the boar a tux, till some woman with him told him it meant that's when they were bred and when you have a load of pre schoolers around you have to use euphanisims. I mentioned that word and he then asked if it was some kind of disease. Sigh.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think anyone who doesn't read the dictionary occasionally has a disease, too. It's called ignorance and I am really intolerant of ignorance that can be prevented. Of course, maybe I am being uppity because I DO read the dictionary, but to ask you such question...well, that borders on just stupid.
Stay with the pigs....they're more intelligent.
Signed,
ThePeruser

10:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>