Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Day Two

Who knew rolling umpkins used so many muscles. I swear even my hair hurt this morning.
Yesterday one of the farm workers, I'll call her A came up to me muttering about how the kids were little monsters. It seems they had gotten her water jug, opened the spout and poured out all the water. I was about to agree with her when I realised that she works in the nursery pen and when she said she meant KIDS, as in baby goats. THis morning after our obligatory pumpkin rolling we were all heading to our pens when I spot A heading toward the goats followed by a trio of turkeys. She stopped told them to go back to their pens but the only gobbled at her and followed her all the way to her pen. Then they gobbled their way back up the hill and flew neatly into their pen. These turkeys are a hoot, yes they can fly but they never go very far, they know when they have a good life. They tend to roost in the trees at night and each morning a cluster of them sit on one of the benches and watch us roll pumpkins. Personally I'm hoping for a day when they help. These also aren't thanksgiving turkeys because they are rather scrawny looking compared to the toms and hens you find in the freezer section because these birds aren't bred to be eaten. And so they can fly and sturt and appear rather svelte.
Still no babies from Queenie the pig and she is now 5 days overdue. Since she got sunburned yesterday she is now in the farrowing house with a fan blowing on her.
No one particular child stood out at my pen today but I did notice that a lot of the adults thanked me by name. (I wear a name tag) I did pluck a bright lime green caterpillar off some woman's shoulder. She shuddered horribly as if it were some horrible vampire bug ready to pounce. The kids with her, however, were fascinated and we had a discussion about line green caterpillars with orange spots. A green caterpillar sure beats the dead maggot that fell out of my hair yesterday. Out of my hair and onto the Husband's leg. Oh how the man hates maggots.
It was still hot today but tomorrow it should be only in the 60s and hopefully I won't melt into a puddle. So not much excitement but it is early days yet. ---me---

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>