Monday, October 02, 2006

Farm Orientation

TOday was orientation for the petting farm. I was so excited I couldn't sleep last night and I wonder why I bothered driving to the farm. I could have flown there fueled by my own energy.
I pulled into the parking lot, got out of my car and just stood for a moment breathing. The air had only a hint of animal and hay but it was more than enough for me. The owner of the farm, a man I was certain hated the sight of me, greeted me warmly and told me he was glad that I was back. Never sure of my own worth in the eyes of others I thought he was being nice but the other returnees actually did seem happy to see me. Maybe I'm no the awful rotten person the library had me believing I was when I left.
We were all subjected to the usual blah blah blah boring stuff for Farm alumni but new to the newbies many of whom had this 'what the heck am I doing' looks on their faces when the talk got to poop and bites and that never ending pile of pumpkins. All I wanted to do was to get to the animals but I was good, bided my time and actually managed not to give into the chatter that was building inside of me. And then after endless quetions and some guy Marvin who brought up the most inane questions we were out in the farm and following farm owner around like a swarm of bees. There were the milking cows, blah blah blah, don't stand behind them because they can kick your face in. Then the pen where the calves WILL BE but weren't unless they were that breed of invisible cows. The little racing pigs were tumbling over each other in excitement but we veered past them for some reason. Could it be that farm owner was afraid I would fling myself into the pen and refuse to leave, becoming part of the herd and racing with the little guys to the pan of warm milk? Peeps and ducklings were next, within arms length of the sow and then, be still my heart, nirvana....PIGS. The firs tis a slightly sunburned white sow named Queenie who has a defiated septum that makes her sound as if she needs to blow her nose. She is very pregnant, and three days overdue. As if a year hadn't passed between the last farm and this I found myself wanting to reach out and check to see if her milk was in yet, I caught myself thinking that it would only appear that I was showing off, but, the last couple of years I'm usually sent into the farrowing house with an expectant pig to calm them. All I could d o for Queenie was scratch her rump while I listened to the farrowing house/pregnant pig stuff that I know by heart. Queenie stood happily still during the who rump scratching but put up a fuss when I had to move on. Farm Owner pointe dout the geese as if we couldn't hear them for ourselves, we zipped past another sow without a name or an age becasue she was bought for the farm simply because she was expecting and had never been out of a piggery before that. Poor baby.
The boar is a different one from the past two years. This one's name is Turk and I can get in the pen with him as long as I don't turn my back on him. I never turn my back on an animal. Farm Owner said that I could get in the pen because I know what I'm doing but it would be better if no other employee did. Hey wait a minute. Maybe someone was paying attention last year.
Now I've always loved animals and the boars at the farm take a fancy to me but someone mentioned that I must have some magic about me because each time we reached a pen the animals all gravitated my way even if I was just standing there with my hands at my side. Even the horse, Fancy, who bites came over and stuck her face in mine demanding attention. I don't even like horses!!! This thrills me to death. There is something about me that tells the animals that I am a kindred spirit! I know that I am alpha at home but with strange animals? It's like a dream come true though thinking about it my sister, about a million yeasrs ago, told someone that I could talk to animals.
So the boar is mine, not that people would be arm wreslting me for the pleasure. I can't wait till I really get my hands onthe pigs tomorrow. Soooo eeeeee.
More tomorrow. ---me---

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>