Wednesday, December 10, 2008

For the love of Gaud

I have always had an affinity for all things gaudy. I have no idea where it came from only if it shimmers and shines I love it. And the more it shines and shimmers and glitters the more I want it. Crystals, rhinestones, glitter I want it all.

So there I was in a dollar store and found what had to be the world's ugliest albeit shiniest garland. It was mostly silver but there were chunks of color in it as well. it was one of those garlands that went with nothing. HA. Or so I thought.

Then I was in the really junky thrift store and found these big plexi glass diamond shapes on a string (I think they were meant to hang in a doorway as a clattery curtain. Of course I bought them. They were shiny and the crow part of my personality could not resist.

Let's not forget the cloth bendable multi colored dolls I got on vacation one year for a remarkable 4 for $1.00 and since I love polymer clay so much and found glass balls cheap I covered the balls with clay making some of the most outrageous ornaments you have ever seen.

Today I put this all together on my tree. The ugly garland looped around. The diamond shams cascade from top to bottom, the dolls perch on limbs and since the tradition Santa on the top of the tree just didn't go, I made a tree topper out of glittery wire garland that I got at a dollar store. I turne don the lights and WOW!
despite all the ugly and the glitter and the weird, I managed to put together a great tree. Who knows what I'll do next? Maybe I'll even end up wearing socks that MATCH!

1 Comments:

Blogger Vyx said...

How about a photo of your tree? I'd love to see it in all it's gaudiness!

8:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>