Friday, May 05, 2006

Catching up

Dear Peruser,
Who woulda thought that painting faces would have been so much harder than pig rassling. Nor can I figure out how only 3,000 kids show up but my arms feel like I painted 10,000 faces EACH DAY! Face painting ended up being the longest four days of my life. I'm not the only one to feel that way. Everyone said the same. Well the everyone who was part of the we all worked in the fall group which was basicly all the staff except for the performers.
The last day we had this little girl with braces on her legs make her careful way toward Larry to have her face painted. He walked carefully as if expecting the ground to disappear from beneath her feet. She made it to Larry who took both of her hands as she settled herself on the chair. Larry painted her face and then with a flourish, Larry helped her up with the same dignity he would have afforded a princess. We told the girls they were all warrior princesses, thinking it would help them get over the idea that they were just getting stripes and not kitties and rainbows. So this little girl made her careful way to the exit, stopping to talk to Carolyn who was taking the tickets. The little girls mom was urging her to come out all the way so they could go see something else. Carolyn, god bless her, listened intently. Finally the Princess had her say and made her way to the exit.
You expect adults to be understanding and kind but what happened next is what brought the tears to my eyes. the Princess' mom had two other girls with her. I noticed most chaperones had 3 charges and these girls definitely weren't the Princess' sisters but one carefully took the princess' hands and led her out the exit, making ever so certain that the princess didn't stumble or walk in to the barriers and to her mother. Mom then held one hand and the same kind child the other and the Princess was able to prance happily away. They were no older than third grade and I find that such things help me to know that maybe the world isn't so bleak after all.

And then there are the sons. My sons. Tuesday Older son and I went grocery shopping together. He had the whole list written out and was ready to go without me until the husband suggested that he wait for me. I was hot and sunburned and I went reluctantly but found that I enjoyed myself. We shopped quickly and efficiently, even had lunch. I rarely get to spend time alone with any of the sons. This was a gift.

Today I got a chance to go out with younger son. He had to go shopping as well and called me to go with him. Off we went. I raised another fine man. He's having a party tonight and his brother is grilling the food. Younger son told me that when there are parties where older son cooks, younger tries to get the group to go to the grill so that older isn't standing there all alone. Younger also tries to draw older into the converstations. Younger son is more outgoing than older and since they were little, younger attracted the people and drew older into the group.

How I ever got two such sons I don't know. I'm proud of the two of them and feel rather humbled by their easy affection toward me. Now if I could just remember how lucky I am the next time I'm feeling sorry for myself maybe I can shake it faster.

Husband is convinced that those squirrels are in the attic. He's been talking about ti for days but still hasn't gone into the attic to check. I half suspect that he thinks if he talks about it enough I'll get sick of hearing it and just take matters into my own hands and face the dreaded attic squirrells on my own. However, I'm determined to thwart him this time and wait him out. The way that things have gone in the past, I suspect we'll have us a whole herd of attic squirrells before the husband takes care of it. Wonder if I can sell them on ebay.

Gotta go. A bag of ceeze curls is calling my name. If you listen carefully you just might hear it. Bye. Love ya. ---me---

1 Comments:

Blogger Goblin Anne said...

Dear Heart,

I wish I had sons like yours, and I also wish I had your bag of cheese curls............

Signed,
ThePeruser

7:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>