Wednesday, April 05, 2006

He still needs his mother

Yesterday younger son called at the butt crack of dawn (at least for him) asking for me and telling his dad that he was sick. The son not the husband. He wanted his mommy and when I got on the phone with him he told me he was sick: his nose hurt, his throat hurt and was mucusy, he had a headache, a fever and he wanted his mother. So, of course, being me, I went into over drive. I think I do my best stuff in overdrive. I brewed him a pot of apple cinnamon tea that I poured into a thermos and wiped the dust off the hot vaporizer. Then I hit the store and bought him one of everykind of medicine that he might need, from cough drops to eye drops and everything in between. At the grocery store I stocked him with jello, pudding, juices, soups and some frozen breakfasts. In our house, apple cinnamon tea, eggs and the hot vaporizer are the tried and true comforts of a sick kid. I also bought him a Weekly World News because I know he'd get bored and a Wooly Willie. WW is one of those bald guys with iron shavings inside and you use a magnet to move the shavings on Willy to give him hair or a mustache or, knowing younger son, ear or nose hair.
I dragged the Husband along with me mostly because I got the sense that he was feeling a little left out. The sons growing up and becoming men has been harder on him than on me and that is saying something. So off we went to younger son's in Baltimore City.
Younger son was laying there on the sofa wearing his Christmas robe and PJs and drinking out of the huge plastic brandy snifter I had bought him at Walmart last week. Younger son has always had a fascination with weird drinking glasses and I'm always trying to find him something he doesn't have. This snifter was bigger than a gold fish bowl. I had wondered what he'd do with it and now I know. He doesn't have to get up at all to refill his water.
But I digress. So there we are in his place and his roomate was still home cleaning the kitchen. Two young men living together and their place was cleaner than mine has ever been. I suck at housework. I was putting juices and sodas in the fridge and the roomate told me he kept asking younger son if he, the roomate, could make him tea or soup or something and younger son kept saying that his mother was going to take care of him. Awwww. Of course the son went right to his tea and then asked if I could make him one of the egg breakfasts and I did. I also filled the vaporizer for him. So see... Eggs, tea and hot steamy air, almost as if he were home... except home has never been as well kept as his place.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>