Tuesday, May 02, 2006

There's still a wolf in there somewhere.

Hello, It's me again, even more sunburned than yesterday despite copious amounts of sun block. It was estimated that we painted 10,000 faces today which is rather remarkable since only 3,500 people showed up. It just seemed like 10,000 and I definitely ran out of cool warrior and warrior princess names for the kids. Tomorrow I'm slapping the paint on and be done with it.
Did I mention the Latino Day laborer who helps out at face painting before the rest of us straggle in from our important mission of parking the cars and busses. He told me his name but it's beyond me to figure out what it was . It sounded like Eloi but isn't that the name of the blond people in the first Time MAchine movie. Anyway, I have never seen anyone so thrilled with face painting. He beams the entire time he's doing it and he's quite an artist even though we are only doing stripes etc. I wish they would let him stay the whole day, he's having a good time but when the rest of us finally do arrive off he goes to some job that I'm sure is less enriching than panting faces.
I've painted all types of faces today, black white and all shades in between and there is something about sitting close enough to a child to paint their face that makes each and every face beautiful. It may be the rounded curve of a cheek, or a dimple created by a smile, or the slope of a nose, the shape of the eye. And lets not forget the smiles. The smiles of a child who knows the joy of the moment and intends on living it fully. Oh god but I envy those children. It is no fun being grown up. Sigh.
I did get to touch the Zebra today. it would have been a better experience if some mostly grown teenager tried to tell me HOW to pet the Zebra and only ended up startling it away from me. Maybe I'll get a better chance tomorrow. It looks very donkey like, only much taller and its skin is hairier than I thought it would be. But when I spoke to him, he looked me right in the face and wuffed at me softly, then dipped his head into the bucket to eat. I let him be and pestered the bison instead. I know what it is that I miss at Native Lands over the Petting Farm. The smell of the animals. I love the smell of animals and my last animal dream does revolve partly around smell. I want to hold a baby orangutan in my arms and bury my face in its fur and inhale. I never thought I'd get to work with pigs or be in a pen with a kangaroo or touch a zebra... who knows... maybe I'll get to do the orangutan thing.
And speaking of animals, it leads me to Rocco the wonder dog and little dog Ollie. Ollie has to be the cutest dog on the face of the earth. He's a shi tsu mix and looks very much like a young ewok (for you Star Wars fans) he is so absolutely adorable that sometimes I forget that he is a dog. Rocco is goofy looking and broad chested and you never forget that HE is a dog.
Last night, Ollie was growling and giving Rocco those "Back off, Buster, THIS is mine" kind of barks that we rarely hear from him. I knew it wasn't achew bone causing the rucus, they had chewed them all, so I wandered over to find out what they were fussing over and found Ollie with a dead flattened squirrell. IN THE HOUSE! I'm usually tough but this was just too disgusting. I went running for Older son who wasn't where I thought he was but discovered him in the driveway and as I ran out the door to get him, the dogs were out and there was Olli White Fang, Wolf leader, running off with that squirrell in his mouth. Rocco was hot on his heels and JOsh brought up the back of the pack, twice around the pool, into the bamboo till Josh cut them off at the pass.
We have a squirrell highway on the roof but now thew husband has been making noises that the squirells might be IN the attic. I"m not climbing up there to see. I don't do attics on the best of day but me on an attic ladder with a frightened squirrell velcroed onto my face. Nope, the Husband gets to be the hero of that story.
Gotta go slather something gooey on this sun burn. Or maybe I'll just have some rice pudding. To eat, not slather. I'd never get the rice out of my ears. LOve ya. ---me---

1 Comments:

Blogger Goblin Anne said...

I always thought you were a little squirrelly to begin with..........

Signed,
ThePeruser

1:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>