Wednesday, June 18, 2008

How can it be?

With all the crap going on with vandalised car and the like, the husband and I actually forgot that Monday was our wedding anniversary. Our 35th. I have been married far longer than I was single, and while life hasn't always been rosy, it has been interesting. I should have suspected something, considering where we met.... at a funeral. Now before I sound like a) a brazen hussy who hangs around caskets picking up men or b) so cold hearted that I'm checking out the guys while some loved one lies in a casket, let me tell you that the funeral was for a friend's grandfather and I was there since she was my friend and the huband was their because he and my friend's cousin were roomates. The minute I clapped eyes on him, I had the oddest sensation in the pit of my stomach, as if I had swallowed feathers or bubbles or something. How could I have resisted him, him so dapper in his wide lapelled suit with his flowered shirt and equally wide tie, hair hanging in his eyes, sideburns and a fu manchu mustache... it WAS the 70's after all. He says it was my legs he noticed first and since I have always been rather uh ah buxom, to have a man notice my legs first was a change. We went out the night we met.
Now meeting at a funeral wasn't quite odd enough for us. He proposed the night after the bank robbery I was in. He proposed in a Spencer's gifts between a poster of Raquel Wells in her cave woman bikini and Mark Spitz and his gold olympic medals. Ah romance. BTW I lent him the $10.00 he put down as a deposit on the engagement ring. He did pay me back.
And so life went on. We bought a house, had kids and rubbed along the best we could. Somewhere along the line we developed an esp between us that I had assumed all married couples had. It was handy in the time before cell phones when he was out evenings tutoring. If we needed Milk or something I'd just think it and the majority of the times, he'd walk in the door with it. Or he'd stop at a pay phone and call before he came home, asking me what I wanted. I discovered how odd it was when one day when I worked at the library< I wanted him to get something on his way home and I mentioned something that I was going to think at him and get him to call. A few minutes later when the phone rang I said I would answer that it was for me. It was and it was the husband. After the call was over a coworker was convinced that I was pulling a priank and the husband and I had prearranged it. I was just as convinced that all married couple did that. In fact today, the husband got into the office before me and as I was packing up my stuff to head for the office, I picked up the camera then answered my cell phone. It was the husband asking me to bring in the camera. I still am convinced anyone who spends that much time with another person can do the same thing.
My mother once told me she wanted a better life for me> I got a life with a man who encourages me to stretch my wings and my mental muscles, who gave me two great sons and turned out to be an equally great father, who accepts my crafting even if he doean't quite understand it and who can still make me laugh. We've had our black times too but all in all I doubt that I could really have done better. Hey the man stood up to my mother, a woman who could render me a gibbering idiot with one look, for me and if that ain't love try this....HE GOES GROCERY SHOPPING WITH ME, at a bag it yourself place no less. Enough said.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>