Sunday, January 13, 2008

Obvious

While watching the Weather a little while ago, I realized that being a weather guy on TV has to be the most boring job. I actually pity the people who are forced to talk about the weather and act all excited as if, gasp, we've never seen anything like rain before, or it's cold up north (in January, what's the chances of that?}. I mean these guys ned to keep you interested but how interested can you be. Hot, cold, wet, dry, moderate, temperate. Just how much is there you can say?
Well, I've heard a new one tonight. Weather guy was talking about some football game that was going to be held indoors so that you know the weather was going to be nice. Huh? Wha? I dug the wax out of my ears and chalked it up to one of my notorious misheards when, doggone it, he said it again and this time the husband heard it as well. Weather guy meanwhile was grinning and motioning as if he had just discovered something never before witnessed. Nice weather INSIDE!! What's the chance of that.
It all reminds me of a visit to Columbus Ohio a number of years ago, where the weatherman there, some guy named Jim (with a Y) bemoaned the fact, nightly on TV that Columbus was losing more and more day light. This was in October and as far as I know the days always get shorter right after the summer solstice so this shouldn't have come as a surprise and yet, each night there was Jym, hangdog expression and all, saying the simple words but you just knew that he was convinced that sooner or later Columbus would run out of daylight altogether. What would they do then? Borrow some from some neighboring city? Import it from China? Smuggle some in over the Canadian border. Unfortunately the last was impossible because, as Jym told us all, Canada was losing more daylight each and every day.
I swear I wanted to send him a lightbulb or if that didn't work, a little dutch boy to stick his finger in the daylight dike, in hopes of stoppering the daylight leak.
As for me, weatherman Jym was the highlight of that trip. No, I lie. The highlight of the trip was when the friend I was visiting and who had just had a hysterectomy wanted me to go to the hospital and collect her uterus. When that wasn't possible she then tried to convince me to call a local funeral home to pick up the body part. There was a 30 day waiting period (why? Did they think she might want them to put it back in?) and so, we then had to discuss what she was going to name it. Sadly I was out of uterus names. I never did find out what she called it and as far as I know it is still in a jar on her mantle, nameless in the daylight leaking city of Columbus Ohio.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>