Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Frazzled

The husband and I went for brunch before work today. We went to IHOP on of the husband's favorite places to eat. So there we sat in our booth while a baby to the left of us cried and cried. And cried. And I can guess that you are certain where this is going. The husband and I do not like to hear a baby cry like that. Usually the parents are on the cell phone or chatting with friends or just staring blankly into space. Blankly into space was what this poor woman needed. I have never sen someone so woebegone. She rocked the baby and jigled the baby and sang to the baby and gave the baby a botle and then a piece of fruit. The other woman with her took the baby and jiggled her and rocked her and on the baby cried. The more baby cried the more mom seemed to curl into herself. She took the baby out to change her diaper, she gave the baby crackers, tried to give her another bottle and then the food arrived but mom was so concerned with the noise baby was making she probably couldn't have swallowed. And then she saw me looking at her and baby and she ducked her head and hunched her shoulders as if to disappear into herself. I know what she was thinking. That I thought babies shouldn't be allowed to cry allowed in an ihop nah nah nah. So I got up, went over, touched her on the shoulder and told her that it would get better and that they eventually grow up. She didn't know whether to laugh or to cry. I told her I had to speak to her because she had sen me looking and I didn't want her to think I disapproved. I told her that I just felt so sorry for her that I wished I could help. Then she laughed and her load lightened and the baby stopped crying. I remember those days so well. And I am glad that my sons are grown.

3 Comments:

Blogger Vyx said...

Good for you! Going over and saying something to make that mom feel better.

hugs!

7:18 PM  
Blogger Goblin Anne said...

You're the most thoughtful person I know.
Thank you for being so.


ThePeruser's Buddy.

6:32 PM  
Blogger Kaos Siberians said...

So many times I think those moms just need a verbal hug...good on ya for doing the right thing (as you so often do).

2:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>