Thursday, January 19, 2006

Does he have to be so damned cute?

We have a grand puppy. It wasn't our idea. Younger son had a girlfriend who whines at him untilhe spent far toomuch money on a decidedly odd looking dog. Rocco is part bull terrier (not pit bull but bull terrier you know like the ugly dog Bill Sykes dragged around with him in the Oliver movie) and part who knows what. The vet has even mentioned what a funny looking dog he is. His eyes are distinctly almond shaped and lined completely around as if he were the re-incarnation of a pharoah. His ears however down't stick up or lay down. In fact they just out sideways from his head for a couple of inches until they droop . Unless he hears something of interest and then the left ear sticks straight up. Only the left ear like some antenna. He's got the wide bull terrier chest and the swaggering walk that goes with it, but his legs are too long and so he is ungainly and awkward. He's always knocking things over or stepping in his food bowl and flipping the hard food all over the house so I'm always sweeping. Last night he decided that my new shoes were utterly delicious and he chewed one to pieces. Right after I bought him new chew bones.
I hate shopping. I hate shopping for shoes the most since they always seem to make my feet hurt no matter what. And if my feet don't hurt, my legs and back do so you can see I was less htan thrilled to have to go and replace the shoes. Now I don't believe in smacking an animal. Instead when I get mad at him I simply tell him I'm not talking to him and then ignore him.
Ok... so I try to ignore him. It ain't my fault that he's so damned cute, despite the ears and the mess. How could you not love a dog who thinks the chicken dance song is the starting gun for the Speed Racer race that rockets him from the bed in the big bedroom, down the hall, around the couch (of over it depending on his momentum) ricocheting off the dogs' pillow and then back down the hallway.
When he isn't galloping he plays vulture and drapes himself over the back of the couch staring at who knows what on the floor. I think he's just lulling us into a false sense of security because, should we be careless and wander too close to him, he pounces and thoroughly cleans our faces, ear and nose, inside and out. Since he grabs us with those overlong legs and hold on, you have to stand there and let him finish.
But the favorite Rocco pastime is Circus Pete. When any of us come home, the dog nearly jumps out of his skin with joy. He does however run up the door and does a back flip as perfectly as an acrobat. He sometimes makes it halfway up the door before the backflip starts which makes it all rather impressive.
Rocco loves everyone and everyone is his friend. Now if he'd only stop chewing shoes and stick to bones and pick up his toys that he spreads all over the house and if he'd only leave my craft room supplies alone.... when I try to craft at night, he's busy coming in and out of my room carrying the stuff out piece by piece.
I keep telling him he can't craft, he's got no opposable thumbs but I swear he's trying to prove me wrong.

1 Comments:

Blogger Goblin Anne said...

as opposed to the devil woman, I think I love Rocco

12:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>